River Road Presbyterian Church celebrated its 50th anniversary in July of 2007.
The Parable of the Talents comes to mind when the history of our church is reviewed. Its life began with a gift, a gift with a vision. In December 1954, Mr. and Mrs. J. Lewis Reynolds (Glen) gave several acres of land to Hanover Presbytery with the request that a chapel be built adjacent to the campus of the developing Collegiate School.
Following a projected interest survey, the first Church School was held on November 4, 1956, with seventy-eight people attending. Services continued to be held in the Collegiate facilities with help from Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church and a Seminary senior, William Long. Less than four months later, committees chaired equally by men and women were formed to divide the responsibilities of organization.
On March 31, 1957, in an organizational meeting, they chose a name and elected, ordained, and installed their first officers: three Elders and three Deacons. They were a congregation of thirty-one charter members in fourteen families. By November, their number had grown to sixty-five in thirty-seven families, and they voted to build a chapel at a projected cost of $81,188.
On Palm Sunday in 1990, the congregation gathered outdoors for the second Sanctuary groundbreaking in its history. The service was reminiscent of the first one some thirty years earlier, and the participants included a charter member as well as the second minister in its history, Dr. Samuel W. Newell. The congregation participated by dedicating this place "for the proclamation of eternal truths," and the choir sang the benediction. Slightly less than two years later, in January, 1992, the Sanctuary was dedicated.
We remember the journey of the past, we recognize the blessings of the present, and we anticipate a future filled with excitement and joy. CELEBRATE!